Power Factor Correction
While we spend much of our time thinking and talking about the benefits of energy efficient LED lighting, there are other ways to save on your energy consumption, which we also advocate. Power Factor Correction is one such way.
What is Power Factor?
A poor Power Factor occurs when a load is drawing more electrical energy than is necessary, for conversion into a given amount of useful work. If your site has poor Power Factor, you could be paying for energy that ends up not being used at all.
Letâ€™s take coffee as an example for how this works. When you pay for a cappuccino, the last thing you want is more froth than coffee. The same thing can be said about poor Power Factor. Excess froth on a cappuccino is much like wasted energy.
How does Power Factor impact your business energy cost?
Taking control of and monitoring Power Factor can lead to reduced kVA demand and therefore reduced electricity costs. Improving Power Factor can lead to savings on your business electricity bill.
Power Factor occurs in non-resistive systems: typically sites with motors, compressors, air-conditioning, conveyor systems and pumps. Loads with lower Power Factor draw more current to get the same power output.
Power Factor can be corrected with the right equipment.
What kind of equipment?
The equipment is typically a domestic fridge-sized electrical cabinet that abuts your main switchboard. Using our coffee from earlier as a comparison, it:
- Contains a bank of capacitors and reactors withÂ control gear (measuring what amount of ingredients go into your coffee,)
- Reduces kVA demand, measured by theÂ electricity meter (think of this as reducing the froth on our earlier cappuccino,)
- Increases system capacity (getting a bigger cup to pour into,)
Alternatively, you can install more equipment to get even more coffee.
The benefits of Power Factor Correction Equipment
Where networks charge for kVA instead of kW, Power Factor Correction can:
- Lower kVA charge on the bill
- Increase site electrical capacity
- Result in quick paybacks in most areas
You can also install more equipment without needing costly infrastructure upgrades.
What we can offer
We have access to Australian designed and manufactured Automatic Power Factor Correction systems.
Our manufacturer has had many years of experience with the application and installation of automatic Power Factor Correction equipment in Australia and overseas. Â They design and manufacture over 150,000 kVAr of low voltage Power Factor correction equipment in Australia, tested in accordance with an approved Quality Assurance system and compliant with:
- ISO9001 â€“ Approved Quality standards for Design, Manufacture, Testing, installation, servicing and commissioning Power Factor Correction equipment
- IEC 831 â€ Part 1 and 2 â€ Manufacturing Standard for Power Factor Correction Capacitors
- AS 1013 â€ 1971 â€ Shunt Capacitors â€“ (old standard, where applicable only)
- AS 3000 â€ 2007 â€ Wiring rules
- AS 3008 â€ 1.1.2009 â€ Selection of Cables for Electrical Installations
- AS 2005 â€ Fuses
- AS 1028 â€ Reactors and Transformers
- Local Supply Authority â€ Service and installation Rules
If you want to know more about Power Factor Correction, get in touch with us through our Contact Us page.
MatrixLED and LED Lighting Solutions
LED lighting will also save you money. By using our LED lighting solutions, youâ€™ll be able to save up on electricity costs by up to 70 percent. To view our products, visit the MatrixLED website or get in touch with us through our Contact Us page.
You may also download our FREE whitepaper on merging lighting and technology here.
Learn how much you can save with our lights by using our Savings Calculator!